Do you love hot dogs? If yes, then you will fall in love with Korean hot dogs. This dish has taken the world by storm and for a good reason. It is a yummy twist on the classic hot dog. Unlike traditional hot dog, Korean hot dogs are deep-fried and coated with a range of ingredients such as panko breadcrumbs and cheese. If you’re tired of the same old boring hot dog, try this Korean hot dog recipe.
Suppose you’ve watched any K-drama or are remotely interested in Korean culture. In that case, you’ve seen Korean corn dogs: beautifully fried, golden battered hot dogs with mozzarella on a stick, dusted with a sparkling sprinkle of sugar.
What is a Korean Hot dog?
Korean corn dogs are a delightful combination of hot dogs, rice cakes, fish cakes, or mozzarella cheese, enveloped in a flavorful batter (sometimes garnished with panko, french fry pieces, or ramen) and deep-fried to perfection. These delectable treats are topped off with a sprinkle of sugar and a signature drizzle of your condiment of choice: ketchup, mayo, mustard, or even all three. With their delightful blend of sweetness and saltiness, Korean corn dogs are an absolute culinary delight.
Korean hotdogs feature two different types of batter—yeasted batter and rice flour batter—each offering unique variations. The multitude of choices available ensures a delightful and diverse culinary experience.
Korean corn dog vs American Corn Dog
Korean corn dogs differ from the familiar corn dogs in a few key aspects. The primary distinction lies in the batter used. While American corn dogs are coated in a cornmeal batter, Korean corn dogs are prepared with a yeast-infused dough or a batter made from rice flour. It is this variation in the batter that sets them apart.
Korean corn dogs are delicately coated with a sprinkle of sugar, adding a subtle sweetness. Interestingly, not all Korean corn dogs feature hot dogs. Instead, you can relish varieties made with tantalizing mozzarella cheese, fish cake, or even delightful rice cakes.
How to make a Korean Hot dog
- 8 hot dog sausages
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks, cut into half
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- Wooden skewers
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Ketchup and mustard for serving
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Add the egg and warm milk to the mixture and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Skewer the hot dogs lengthwise and pass one-half of the cheese stick through each skewer.
- Pour the panko breadcrumbs into a shallow dish.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the hot dog skewers into the batter, ensuring that the cheese is coated.
- Roll the batter-covered hot dog skewers onto the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the coated hot dog skewers in the heated oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle sugar on Korean hot dogs when they are still hot.
- Serve with ketchup and mustard.
Why Korean Hot Dog?
The Korean hot dog is perfect for anyone who loves crunchy and cheesy snacks. They are a great alternative for people who are bored with traditional hot dogs and want to try something new. It is a perfect snack for parties, picnics, or just an evening snack after work.
Tips for Making Korean Hot Dog
- You can add a variety of ingredients to the batter such as garlic, onion powder, or even grated cheese for a cheesy twist.
- The batter should not be too thick or too runny. If it is too thick, add some more warm milk to thin it. If it is too runny, add some more flour.
- Do not overcrowd the frying pan while frying.
- If you’re not a fan of cheese, you can skip it entirely or trade it for another ingredient of your choice.
Korean hot dogs are a delicious snack that everyone should try. They are simple to make and can be modified according to your preferences. Plus, they are a great alternative to traditional hot dogs. So why not try this recipe today and add a little bit of Korean twist to your hot dogs? Trust us; your taste buds will thank you for it!
What is a Korean hot dog?
Korean corn dogs are a delectable delight, where hot dogs, cheese, rice cakes, or fish cakes are delicately fried in a luscious batter, mounted on a convenient stick, and garnished with a tantalizing combination of sugar, ketchup, mustard, and/or mayo. An exquisite blend of sweet and savory, they offer a plethora of creative possibilities to please your palate!
What do Korean hot dogs taste like?
Korean hotdogs are a delightful combination of sweetness and saltiness. They come in two varieties: those made with a yeasted batter and those made with a rice flour batter. Each offers its own unique taste and texture, ensuring a delectable experience.